$1 billion judgment levied against Samsung for infringing on Apple’s patents reportedly has the South Korea company reeling. While Samsung executives weren’t optimistic about an overwhelming victory in a Silicon Valley courtroom last week, the one-sided decision loss apparently caught them by surprise.
“It’s absolutely the worst scenario for us,” a senior Samsung executive told the Korea Times as he rushed into the company’s Seoul headquarters.
Since a jury in a San Jose, Calif., courtroom on Friday decided overwhelmingly in favor of Apple’s patent claims against Samsung, the Korea electronics giant has focused on the verdict’s effect on the smartphone market. The company called the awarding of $1.05 billion in damages to Apple “a loss for the American consumer” and promised that “this is not the final word in this case.”
Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a companywide e-mail that the case was about “values.”
“For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money. It’s about values,”
From TechT@lk Read More Here